Frequently Asked Questions
What website platform do you use?
We build our websites exclusively on the Squarespace Platform. If you're looking for a Wordpress designer, we wish you well, but we're not the designer for you. You can read more about or Squrespace preference here.
How much does a website cost?
$5,000, flat rate. We do offer an option for prepublished/debut writers, but please note that it's a template website, with minimal customization. Any websites you see on our portfolio on this site are our custom websites, for $5,000. The starter website is truly intended for those just starting out, with fewer than 3 books.
Is website maintenance included?
No. The $5,000 covers the design of the website, and customization up until the time the website goes live. After that, to make website updates, you can either sign up for our Bottomless Updates program ($50/month), pay us on an ad-hoc basis for $100/hour, or maintain the site yourself. About half of our clients opt for Bottomless Updates, the other half update the site themselves. We provide a "how to" document for basic maintenance tasks, and Squarspace is a drag-and-drop platform, no coding knowledge required!
Do you do social media design?
We offer a branded Facebook / Twitter cover image for an additional $100/each to match your new site, but we do not currently offer design of social media teasers, marketing materials, etc. You may want to check out our friend over at Lemmony Designs!
I'm not an author. Will you still design my site?
Probably! Though our core customer base is authors, we've also done restaurant websites, comedian websites, blogger websites, PR firms, comedy schools, etc. Fill out our contact form with what you're looking for, and we'll see if we're a fit!
Is logo design included?
Yep! Though we tend to recommend simpler logo styles for authors, when you fill out our Getting Started guide, you'll have a chance to tell us all about your font/style/color preferences, and there will be multiple rounds of review so we can get it just right.
How long does a website take?
Our average turnaround time is 2-3 weeks, but it depends on our client load. We'll let you know up front when you contact us what our current turnaround time is so there are no surprises.
Do I have to pay all at once, or can I pay in installments?
You'll pay in two installments.. The first upon signing the contract, the second when the website goes life.
Can I pay with credit card?
Yes. In fact, while we're on the money topic, we do NOT accept personal checks.
What's the process like?
- Client fills out our contact form.
- We reply with our availability and Getting Started form.
- Client fills out Getting Started form (likes, dislikes, website vision, etc).
- If nothing seems amiss, Last Word Designs will send a contract to be signed by the client and invoice for the first half of the cost.
- Once we've received payment and the signed contract, we'll get started! On our end, we start pulling together some color swatches, branding inspiration, and logo design. On your end, you'll begin filling out our spreadsheet with a list of your available books/buy links. etc
- Once we get your logo/colors locked down, we'll start to build the site, sending you periodic screenshots or beta-links to make sure we're on the right track.
- Final site review: We'll send you a link of your beta site! You look through it, make notes of changes you want.
- Once the site's ready to go, we start talking domain transfers, etc, and you'll pay the second half of the invoice.
- Pop the champagne, because we go live!